Preparing to Sell Your Business
MM&A leverages export marketing and sales as one measure to enhance their clients’ top line results: increased qualified leads, increased sales, and enhanced, long‑term, company value.
MM&A brings to the industry a unique approach engaging with, supporting and advising clients at each stage of strategic planning – research, design, implementation and assessment.
- exploring the potential of their products outside Nova Scotia
- expanding their export sales
- commercializing a new, market-ready innovation or technology
- maximizing international sales, distribution, representation structure, and subsequent return
- diversifying efforts and advancing new business opportunities on an international scale
- enhancing existing international customer relationships.
MM&A is Unique
The success of MM&A is largely the result of proper project management, therefore we:
- Work closely with the management team throughout the entire process. Limit surprise. Each group must know what the other is doing.
- Provide regular and clear communication when requesting input and providing updates. Assess and develop a functional communication strategy.
- Respectfully challenge management in their assumptions and beliefs regarding export practices and opportunities. Always ask the tough questions. Objective and candid always proves effective in taking business to the next level.
- Define action lists. Agree on time tables and schedule check-ins. Implement a stop-gate approach, whereby a specific time line or stage is identified as a point to stop, assess, and determine whether to continue on course or alter course as a result of new information.
- Offer flexible compensation plans. Work on a project‑by‑project basis, ongoing retainer, and a percentage of incremental results realized.
- Stay accountable to the goals, strategies, timetables and other planning in order to meet targets.
Why choose MM&A for your Export Strategy
Perhaps you share some of the reasons clients choose MM&A for assistance in the world of export.
- You want to improve your business’ top line performance - now!
- You want to work with people who boast a successful track record.
- At this stage of your business, it is not economical - nor efficient - to hire full-time, export marketing and sales management.
- You want to avoid the mistakes and pitfalls most companies – also new to exporting – inevitably make.
- You do not want to infringe on the resources dedicated to your core domestic business
- It makes sense for your company to augment the resources of your existing marketing and/or sales department.
- You need that catalyst to make exporting a reality, sooner than later.
- You know diversifying your market and client base adds value, should you ever wish to sell your business.
MM&A Consulting Services
Export Market Research
MM&A provides customized, in-depth reporting based on more than a decade of hands-on experience in overseas business development and project management services. We know the best sources and channels for obtaining information specifically relevant to your products and services.
Identification of Appropriate Markets
When a company decides to start exporting their product, it is important they understand the global picture and identify early, the most favorable export markets for their product. MMA market studies inform our clients and the strategies developed to export their goods and services.
Export Marketing Plans and Strategies
A rigorous export marketing plan improves the chances of success when entering (new) international markets. To begin, the plan must address market size, competitors, country risk, entry barriers, costs for doing business in this market, geographical and cultural distance, accessibility of distribution channels, public aids, special knowledge of the country and current opportunities.
Government Funding and Funding Applications
MM&A is very familiar with the Provincial and Federal programs available to assist both new and existing exporters. In some case gratuitous funding can be as high as 50% of the expenditures involved. Our assistance can be key to the success of an application. We know, for example, what the agencies are looking for, which activities/expenditures qualify for assistance, how to complete a program application form and how to present accompanying documentation.
Overseas Business Development
Our network of manufactures and resellers, equipped with our knowledge and experience, enables clients to accelerate time-to-market, identify local customers and channel partners, while positioning the client appropriately in the foreign industrial export market.
Joint Venture and Partnership Opportunities
In addition to establishing new sales channels, MM&A can suggest and assist with Joint Venture and Partnership opportunities. Collaboration is crucial to success in new markets.
MM&A will organize commercial missions to the targeted export market in an effort to negotiate personally with a potential client. The service includes the identification of prospective companies and the presentation of product(s)/service(s) to said companies. We are pleased to organize travel plans for each representative and/or send an interpreter to accompany the party.
Organization of Appropriate Sales Calls/Presentations
Maximize your time and results. MM&A researches and considers the needs and terms of all parties before pre-selecting the participating companies.
Commercial Agents/Distribution Selection
MM&A identifies commercial agents who are specialized in specific sectors and comply with the indicated profile. Collaboration with a commercial agent who works with an established clientele is favorable when entering new markets. More specifically, MM&A will:
- Profile new Agency, Distributor, or Strategic Alliance partners based on pre-established criteria
- Establish representation goals - management, incentives, accountability, effectiveness
- Identify end-user profiles, key account identification and market size estimates
- Refine sales structure – establish agreed upon metrics, customer approach, sales process, administrative tracking and reporting
- Ensure proper agreements are in place.
Export Management Coaching
MM&A offers coaching services for those directly involved in the (new) export process, as well as to more established companies wanting to enter new markets. This service includes developing an export strategy, training for the individual(s) selected to manage the export process as well as ongoing consultation with senior management.
Experienced, High Level Sales Management
MM&A comes with the depth and breadth of senior-level sales management experience required to succeed in the export business. They can focus on:
- Negotiating and Closing
- Key objections analysis and strategy implications
- Proactive target list identification
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system implementation
- Sales Representative performance assessments
- Sales approach, bundling, and USP usage
- Key account sales - targets, projections, goals
- Selling tools usage - analysis, refinement
- On‑line sales support activities
- Automated lead handling management and analysis.
Trade shows / Fairs / Assisstance
MM&A also identifies relevant trade shows and conferences for their clients and provides detailed Pre- and Post-Trade Mission preparation and follow-up reports. MM&A accompanies clients to international fairs to provide support, introduce products to international clients and make sales. Comprised of professionals with experience in diverse sectors, MM&A can choose among team members so that each company is provided a perfect fit.
Access to Key Influencers
MM&A creates lists of key in-market influencers that can effectively help bolster your export sales effort. Such influencers and referral partners include Canadian Consulate representative, Industry Associations or lobby groups, relevant consultants, complementary product or service providers to your chosen market, as obvious examples.
How We Work and What You Can Expect
At MM&A, we develop - and build on - strategies and processes that work. Communication among project stakeholders both at the client end and our end is vital. While we are open to alternate arrangements, our suggested procedure is as follows:
- Hold initial one-hour interviews with Senior Management to identify and discuss any export market research or activities undertaken to date as well as goals for the future.
- Present follow-up summary of project expectations and accompanying proposal.
- Explore and discuss available funding sources and strategies to obtain said funding.
- Discuss preliminary engagement fee to prepare government-funding application.
- Complete skeletal Business Plan or Export Plan including the preparation of all relevant government funding applications and collection of all supporting documentation.
- Finalize engagement contract.
- Develop Project Management Guidelines including a communication strategy.
- Conduct an initial half-day Export Business Audit or Learning Session with relevant company personnel.
- Conduct relevant research methodology per agreed upon in the engagement contract
- Define goals, assess required human and financial resources, identify action items and expected results; design measurements of success.
- Begin implementation
We provide the tools and systems to execute the export strategy plan. You provide us with quarterly financial reporting to measure export results.
Call Now for a free 1 hour consultation on how we may be able to assist you in your export development.
Call: Barry MacLeod at (902) 218.8301
Maurice (Moe) Muise at (902) 456.6473